You need protein for your muscles, bones, and the rest of your body. Exactly how much you need changes with age:
- Babies need about 10 grams a day.
- School-age kids need 19-34 grams a day.
- Teenage boys need up to 52 grams a day.
- Teenage girls need 46 grams a day.
- Adult men need about 56 grams a day.
- Adult women need about 46 grams a day (71 grams, if pregnant or breastfeeding)
A good way understand how much you need is to multiply 0.8 grams by how many kilograms you weigh.
You should get at least 10% of your daily calories, but not more than 35%, from protein, according to the Institute of Medicine.
Plant-based protein chart
United States Department of Agriculture National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference
Plant based protein per 100g (g)
Animal based protein per 100g (g)
Chickpeas, pumpkin seeds
McDonald’s Big Mac